A raw food diet is based on the consumption of unprocessed, plant-based foods, usually fruits and vegetables (preferably organic). This diet has numerous health benefits, and it is widely believed it can prevent cancer.
Why has raw food?
The greatest advantage of raw food is in the fact it retains the complete nutritional value. On the other hand fried or overcooked foods lose a significant portion of their nutritional value and the person doesn’t get all benefits from that food then. The very first get you notice when you start with raw food died is increased energy level that also positively affects your sleeping pattern as well.
Due to a high amount of vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients that our body needs to retain healthy functioning, your skin will restore the healthy glow. Another great benefit of raw food is the positive effect on digestion. Fruits and vegetables have high levels of dietary fiber and high fiber diet
is associated with blood sugar control, weight loss management and many other health benefits.
Moreover, according to the report published in Food Technology in October 2012, plant-based diets have the ability to significantly reduce or completely eliminate individual’s genetic predisposition to develop chronic diseases like Type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, and even cancer.
Additionally, various epidemiologic studies have associated raw food consumption with decreased risk of cancer. Animal studies and experiments using isolated cells also showed same results. After all, raw and uncooked fruits and vegetables are the best sources of nutrients.
Raw food for everyone
Raw food diet can be fun as much as it is beneficial for our health. The key is to know what foods to eat and how to prepare them to include the variety of meals to your diet in an easy manner. For example, the book raw food for everyone written by leading raw foods authority and teacher Alissa Cohen offers 300 different recipes for the raw diet.
The book includes basic recipes that can be prepared as well as more demanding ones. Moreover, there are also recipes for delicious smoothies, juices, and you-won't-believe-they’re-raw chips and crackers. What makes it perfect for every person who wants to try out raw food diet is the fact it contains step-by-step instructions, charts on sprouting and soaking, and thorough and accurate information about raw ingredients. In a short period of time this book became the culinary classic and is a perfect guide for all people who want to improve their health with raw diet and eat delicious meals that will provide various health benefits and aid in detoxification of their organism.
Cancer-killing nutrients in vegetables and fruits
Researchers isolated and identified many chemicals in vegetables and fruits that may prevent or aid in cancer treatment.
• Carotenoids – they are pigments that give fruits and vegetables their bright colors.
There are different types of carotenoids such as beta-carotene, lycopene, lutein, zeaxanthin, etc. Carotenoids act as antioxidants with powerful cancer-fighting characteristics. They protect cells from free radicals and lower the risk of different types of cancer, including lung, skin, breast, prostate cancer, etc. Found in sweet potatoes, carrots, kale, spinach…
• Vitamin C – found in citrus fruits and juices, green peppers, cauliflower, and many other fruits and vegetables. Consumption of Vitamin C can lower the risk of mouth cancer and other cancers. However, it only works for Vitamin C consumed through the diet, not supplements.
• Vitamin E – acts as an antioxidant and deficiency of Vitamin E is associated with increased risk of getting cancer. This vitamin decreases a risk of colon, prostate, and lung cancer. Also, it can be found in cilantro, broccoli, avocados, blueberries, etc.
• Folic acid – prevents colon and cervical cancer and high concentrations of folic acid are found in green leafy vegetables.
• Fiber – most fruits and vegetables are a great source of fiber. Therefore, raw food can be considered as high fiber diet. Diet improves our digestion and aids in detoxification that reduce a risk of colon cancer and other types of stomach cancers.
• Dithiolethiones and glucosinolates – found in cruciferous vegetables and prevent cancer by an elimination of carcinogens before they damage DNA.
• Phytoestrogens – act like weak versions of the hormone estrogen. Consumption of foods with this nutrient (bean sprouts, peas, etc.) decreases the level of estrogen circulating in woman’s body. High levels of estrogen that circulate in the body are associated with increased risk of breast cancer.
If you like making delicious fruit juices, then their cancer-fighting properties are the additional reason for continue with your juicing habit. For example, raw pineapple contains bromelain that is an enzyme that proved to be more successful than chemotherapy in cancer treatment according to the research published in the journal Planta Medica.
Do you like grapes? Then consumption of grapes and making fruit juices with these lovely fruits can aid in the prevention of cancer as well. They contain natural chemicals that have a great potential to prevent cancer cells from spreading. This was confirmed by the study conducted at the University of Illinois. This study also adds to the consumption of raw food as cancer-preventing components from grapes are more effective than the usage of supplements.
Due to their structure that includes a lot of vitamins, minerals, and other health-boosting nutrients, fruits and vegetables can prevent and fight cancer as well. Here are some of them:
• Nuts – study published in the journal BMC Medicine reveals consumption of nuts reduces the risk of getting cancer by 40%.
• Carrot – according to scientists, carrots could be key to successful cancer treatment.
They contain powerful cancer-fighting properties including compound falcarinol that reduced tumors in rats by a third.
• Sweet potatoes
– are rich in antioxidants, especially beta-carotene, which helps in detoxification
, eliminates toxins from the body and protects from various chronic diseases and cancer.
• Sunflower seeds – great source of selenium that improves detoxification and is associated with cancer prevention. Selenium enhances DNA repair and synthesis in damaged cells.
• Garlic – various studies showed that garlic and its compound allyl sulfur are effective inhibitors of the cancer process. Of 37 studies in humans using garlic and allyl sulfur, 28 studies showed cancer-fighting properties. Garlic’s positive effect on preventing cancer isn’t related to only one carcinogen or particular tissue, but the entire organism.
Raw food diet has numerous health benefits, including improved detoxification of the body and cancer prevention. Plus, it is versatile; fruits and vegetables can be consumed through juices, smoothies, and delicious meals.
Vaileria Dennis is a Health and Beauty expert. She has written various articles on Beauty and Makeup. In recent years, she has had an opportunity to research about Solvaderm Skin care routine
. She is always excited to share her ideas related to Beauty care and Makeup Tips.